NO PURCHASE IS NESSECARY TO WIN OR ENTER THE CONTEST
CONTEST BEGINS AT 12:00:00 AM (PT - Los Angeles Time) on June 10th, 2014 AND ENDS AT 11:59:59 PM (PT - Los Angeles Time) on June 24, 2014 (THE "PROMOTION PERIOD").
1. HOW TO ENTER:
- Membership to www.deviantart.com (the "Contest Site") is required to enter the "The Transformation Challenge" contest (the "Contest"). Membership to www.deviantart.com is free. No purchase necessary to enter or win. Only entries from valid deviantART accounts will be accepted. If Entrant is already a registered member, Entrant is not automatically entered into the Contest.
- Entrant must be at least 18 years old as of June 10, 2014 to be eligible to enter the Contest and if selected as a grand prize winner must be able to travel to the United States between July 25, 2014 to August 1, 2014 for the purposes described in paragraph 4, below. Contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Entrant may reside in any country in the world. Entrant must follow the instructions on the Contest Site and create an original artwork illustrating in three panels the transformation of the entrant or an original character into a radically different person or thing. Entrant may use any visual medium but Entrant must use the three-panel template provided at the Contest Site. When submitting his or her entry at the Contest Site, Entrant should provide a short statement in the description for the work stating: (i) where he or she found his or her inspiration for the work; (ii) the programs or tools used to create the work; and (iii) approximately how long it took to create the work. This information will be considered as part of the judging but the failure to provide it will not be an independent ground for disqualification.
- The completed entry ("Work") must be submitted at the Contest Site as a single JPG or PNG file using the provided template. Entrant may re-create the template for the submission but it must measure exactly the same size and resolution of the provided template.
- The Work:
- must be the Entrant's original work made for the Contest and may not use stock materials from others although licensed brushes and textures are acceptable as well as original assets from the Entrant's own work;
- must use either self-portraits or an original character to illustrate the progression in the three panels as required by the Contest challenge
- The Work must be in keeping with the image of deviantART ("Sponsor") and Vice; may not be inappropriate, offensive, libelous or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion; must not be harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, obscene, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion; may not violate or encourage others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation; may not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or property rights or any other third party rights, or involve physical harm to any person or animal; may not contain verbal or visual mentions of commercial/corporate advertising, including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names, and slogans, other than as contained in the assets provided to Entrants at the Contest Site; may not include any viruses, worms, corrupt files, Trojan horses, or other forms of corruptive code or content that may harm or compromise the Contest Site and/or the proper conduct of the Contest; may not use any watermarks but may contain a signature by the artist provided that the signature is capable of removal at the request of Sponsor if the entry is adapted for use by the Sponsor as a winning entry in accordance with these Rules; and, if found to be in violation of these Rules will be disqualified and therefore removed from the Contest Site Gallery.
If entrant uses a model for the entry who is recognizable in the final Work, Entrant will be required to provide a signed release to qualify as a winning entry.
- Only online entries will be accepted. No hard copies of the entry will be accepted for judging. Do not submit original files or Works.
- ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59:59 PM (PT) June 24, 2014.
- No illegible, incomplete, forged or altered entries will be accepted. Works will not be returned.
- Entrants may enter as many Works as they like however duplicate entries are not allowed.
- Entrant must be available to travel to New York, Los Angeles, or Honolulu, Hawaii between July 25, 2014 to August 1, 2014 if selected as a Grand Prize winner. Please see details in Paragraph 4, below.
2. ENTRANT'S RIGHTS:
- All Works submitted will remain the exclusive property of the Entrant, provided that:
- during the Promotion Period, and for a period of one year thereafter, eligible Works submitted to the Contest may be reproduced, exhibited and publicly displayed on the Contest Site or otherwise displayed in selections made by Sponsor, and or Vice Media, Inc., and in any form and media on or off the deviantART site, but only in connection with promotion of the Contest and/or with reference to the Contest;
- during the five (5) year period immediately following the Promotion Period (the "Display Period"), Vice Media, Inc. may (but will not be obligated to) display the first, second and third place prize winning Works in any form and media in connection with the promotion of their respective businesses and Sponsor shall have the right to do the same so long as the use is related to the this Project;
- Sponsor, Vice Media, Inc. may otherwise use the first, second and third place prize winning Works in such manner and upon such terms and conditions as the relevant Entrant may approve in writing (such approval not to be unreasonably withheld, delayed or conditioned);
- Entrants of the prize winning works may not authorize or permit the work to be used to promote any product or service of any party other than Entrant and/or Sponsor, Vice Media, Inc.
- Entrant warrants and represents that his or her contributions to the Work are completely original to the Entrant and will not infringe upon any third party intellectual property rights of any kind in any manner.
- In the event the Entrant qualifies as a Grand Prize winner and collaborates with the selected artists, Motherboard and Vice Media, Inc. will own all rights for all purposes in and to the resulting joint works. In addition, Entrant will be filmed and photographed during the collaboration for the benefit of Vice Media, Inc.. Eligible Entrants will be required to sign a guest performer release and other related paperwork to participate.
3. SELECTION OF WINNERS:
Potential winners will be selected on or about July 2nd, 2014, from all eligible and qualified entries. Twenty-five (25) semi-finalists will be selected by full-time deviantART staff on the basis of (i) Technical and artistic skill; (ii) Effective presentation of the progression into a radically different person or thing; and (iii) Originality; all in whatever degree the judges believe to be appropriate in reaching a decision. The three grand prize winners will be selected from the 25 semi-finalists by Habib Zargarpour, the Creative Director for Microsoft Studios, and Thobey Campion, Publisher from Motherboard, in their sole discretion, using the same criteria and methodology. In the event any one of the selected potential grand prize winners are unable to travel to New York, Los Angeles or Hawaii as required, a substitute grand prize winner will be selected by Mr. Zargarpour and Mr. Campion. The judges' decisions are final on all matters relating to the Contest. In the event of a tie in any portion of the judging process, the judges themselves will resolve the tie to the appropriate number of semi-finalists or ranked winners as applicable. In the event Mr. Zargarpour or Mr. Campion becomes unavailable, a substitute Judge of similar stature and relationship to Microsoft and/or Vice Media, Inc. will be used.
There are three (3) Grand Prizes (each a "Prize") to be awarded in this Contest, one (1) prize to each winner. Each Prize consists of:
- One Thousand ($1,000) U.S. dollars;
- Entrant's winning Work included in a home page billboard takeover on deviantART.com and on Motherboard.com for one (1) day with the Work linked to the Entrant's deviantART page for the Work and the Entrant's name linked to his or her profile page on deviantART;
- A Microsoft Surface tablet
- An all expenses paid trip to Hawaii, Los Angeles, or New York to collaborate with one of three selected artists for one day between the dates of July 25, 2014 through August 1, 2014. The resulting joint work from the collaboration will become the property of Microsoft. The location of the collaboration for each artists will be at the discretion of Vice Media, Inc.
Total approximate retail value ("ARV") of each Prize is $4,250 USD and the ARV of all Prizes is $12,750 USD. All Prizes will be awarded (assuming sufficient number of entries and qualifying Entrants). No other substitution or transfer of prizes permitted. Sponsor responsible only for prize delivery; not responsible for prize utility, quality or otherwise. All taxes associated with any Prize awarded are solely the responsibility of each Winner. Prize elements may not be separated. In the event any portion of the Prize cannot be awarded as stated, that portion of the Prize will go unawarded. Costs and expenses associated with Prize acceptance and use not specifically stated herein as being provided are the sole responsibility of the Winners. No interest will be awarded on cash prizes. Prizes are subject to availability, non-transferable, non-negotiable, non-refundable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize for one of equal or greater value for any reason. Sponsor makes no warranties, and hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize furnished in connection with the Contest. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SUCH PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND SPONSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
DeviantART and Vice Media Inc. will cooperate together to arrange for the visit and collaboration in either Hawaii, Los Angeles, or New York set out in the prizing for the Grand Prize Winners.
Each Grand prize winner will receive round trip economy fare air travel between the nearest major city to the winner's residence and the nearest major city to the selected artists locations as appropriate. Sponsor will provide ground transportation to and from the nearest major city to the artists location. Sponsor will determine flight and accommodation itinerary in its sole discretion. Sponsor is not responsible for flight or other transportation/accommodation difficulties including cancellation/delay; no refund or compensation will be made in the event or a cancellation or delay in flight; winner is responsible for any travel documentation requirements, including visas if required, at their own cost. Entrant acknowledges that the trip package is for the purpose stated and accordingly, if winning a trip package, will make himself or herself available on the dates required and will not be able to substitute the dates for travel and accommodations presented to the entrant by Sponsor. Accommodations will be described to the winning Entrant in advance of travel and Entrant will be permitted to make alternate choices for accommodations at the Entrant's sole cost, expense and responsibility. A per diem of $42 per day will be provided to cover the reasonable cost of meals during the Entrant's visit. Travel is subject to the rules and restrictions set forth in these Official Rules and those set forth by the relevant airline carrier and accommodations; any expense and incidental travel costs not specifically included in the package description are the responsibility solely of the winner, including luggage fees in excess of airline rules, miscellaneous travel expenses, passenger tariffs or duties, surcharges, service or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, personal taxes and other expenses. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers, property or certificates.
Entrant may be required to sign a separate consent to being filmed during the collaboration in either Hawaii, Los Angeles, or New York. This consent will include the agreement that Sponsor Vice Media, Inc. can use the resulting film to promote the contest and their respective businesses. Editing and use of the film will be completely at the discretion of Sponsor, Vice Media, Inc.
Contest open to deviantART members residing anywhere in the world, who are at least eighteen (18) years old as of June 10, 2014, except employees and volunteers (and their immediate families and members of the same household) of Sponsor or Vice Media Inc. and their respective affiliates, agents, judges and advertising and promotion agencies. There is no charge for deviantART membership.
6. VERIFICATION OF WINNERS AND DELIVERY OF PRIZES:
Potential winners will be required to immediately respond to any request from Sponsor for confirmation of his or her availability to travel as required in Paragraph 4 of these Official Rules. In addition to the consent required in the last sub paragraph of Paragraph 4 potential winners will, and other potential winners may, be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and liability release and, where permitted, a publicity release. The winner may be disqualified if he or she does not provide consent in the form requested. Each Grand Prize winner agrees to the use of his/her name, address, likeness, and/or prize information for promotional purposes in any medium without additional compensation to the extent permitted by law.
This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law and is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. This Contest will be governed by the internal laws of the State of New York, USA. Any and all legal actions or claims arising in connection with this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction within the State of New York. Sponsor, Microsoft, Vice Media Inc. and judges not responsible for late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, misaddressed, postage due, incorrect or misdirected entries, mail or communications, for errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines or data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry materials, loss or otherwise. Sponsor, Vice Media Inc. and judges not responsible for electronic communications which are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in entrant's e-mail account to receive e-mail messages. Sponsor, Vice Media Inc. disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, or accessing, posting, uploading or downloading information in connection with, this Contest, and reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend this Contest should any virus, bug, technical failures, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor, Vice Media Inc.'s reasonable control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In the event of any such cancellation, termination or suspension, a notice will be posted on the Contest Site and the winners will be selected from among all eligible entries received prior to such time. Sponsor, Vice Media Inc. reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant from this Contest or any other promotion conducted now or in the future by Sponsor, Vice Media Inc. or any of their affiliates if the entrant's fraud or misconduct adversely affects the integrity of the Contest. By participating in this Contest, each entrant accepts the conditions stated in these Official Rules, agrees to be bound by the decisions of the judges and warrants that s/he is eligible to participate in this Contest. By accepting a prize, winner agrees to release Sponsor, Vice Media Inc. and their respective directors, employees, officers, and agents, including without limitation, their advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of the prize or participation in any prize-related activities.
ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9. WINNERS LIST:
To obtain winners list, go to www.deviantart.com. Winners list will be available after selection and verification of winners.
deviantART, Inc., 7095 Hollywood Blvd., #788, Hollywood, CA 90028
11. QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS CONTEST:
Go to www.deviantart.com.
© 2014 deviantART, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
PLEASE NOTE: THESE OFFICIAL RULES TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER ANY TERMS OR RIGHTS TO THE CONTRARY SET OUT IN DEVIANTART'S TERMS OF SERVICE, SUBMISSION POLICY OR ETIQUETTE POLICIES AND ANY SELECTION OF A CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WITH RESPECT TO YOUR ENTRY WILL BE TREATED AS NULL AND VOID TO THE EXTENT NOT CONSISTENT WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
By clicking on the "Enter Now" button below, you agree that you have read and understand, and agree to be bound by, the above Official Rules.